Monday, April 20, 2009

Final Steps

A few days ago I received my staging instructions via e-mail which informed me that my staging event (aka orientation) will begin in Washington, D.C. on May 18th at noon. Today, I made my flight reservation and will officially be leaving Ohio May 18th at 7:41 a.m.!

My staging instructions also included a lay-out of what will take place at the event. After registration, we will have a brief but intense orientation session from 2-7 p.m. During this time we will be given background information about the Peace Corps, talk about our anxieties and aspirations for service, cover the organization's policies and safety procedures, and detail logistics and departure/arrival information.

In the meantime, I am beginning to pack and finalizing things I need to get done before I leave (such as financial matters). I'm starting to find out how difficult packing is, since I need to fit everything I need for two years in two suitcases! I'm also trying to figure out some sort of gift to give to my host family when I arrive. I'm thinking about a mini-scrapbook highlighting some parts of my life in Ohio, so they have an idea of my background and where I'm from. I'll figure something out...

2 comments:

  1. Just make sure to leave some room for BENNY!!! I get Oyster while your gone though....haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh there will be room for Benny! And you better give Oyster some good lovin' while I'm gone :)

    ReplyDelete